- Onoclea sensibilis is a rambling pinnately lobed fern with soft green sterile fronds.
- Fronds are deciduous often turning bright yellow before disappearing for the winter.
- Spores are enclosed in bead-like coverings and are borne on separate upright fertile stalks.
- Forms colonies in rich boggy or moist loamy soils in shade or part shade.
- Category: Ferns, Natives, MD Native Plant
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Height: 12-18 in
- Spread: 30-36 in
- Spacing: 3-5 ft
- Bloom Color: Non-Flowering
- Foliage Color: Green
Growing & Maintenance Tips for Onoclea sensibilis
The soothing green foliage of this rambling fern make it an excellent Groundcover for a Wetland or wet Shade Garden. In appropriate sites, Onoclea sensibilis matures into a verdant and soothing Mass or Border. This fern can control erosion and is a valuable component of Deer Resistant Plantings, Low Maintenance Plantings, Rain Gardens and Wetlands.