Eastern Wood fern
- Clump forming perennial fern with upright feathery fronds.
- Foliage is evergreen with a soothing blue green color.
- This fern thrives in moist loamy soils in dappled sun or partly shaded exposure.
- Plants are prized for their ability to adapt to difficult dry shaded sites.
- Category: Ferns, Natives
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Height: 18-24 in
- Bloom Color: Non-Flowering
- Foliage Color: Green
|•||Shade/ Part Shade|
|•||Moist, Well Drained|
Additional Information about Dryopteris marginalis
Remarkably pest resistant and drought tolerant once established. For best appearance, fronds should be sheltered from excessive wind.
As it matures into lush groundcover stands this fern provides valuable habitat for small wildlife. This pest resistant fern is not palatable to deer and other herbivores.
Grows best in dappled to light shade with low to medium moisture. Plants tolerate rocky soil with neutral to acid pH but are adaptable to many soil types.
Growing & Maintenance Tips for Dryopteris marginalis
The dramatic feathery foliage of this fern make it a lovely and useful Accent for a Shade Garden. In appropriate sites, Dryopteris marginalis matures into a verdant and soothing Groundcover or Mass. This fern can control erosion on dry shaded banks and serve as a valuable component of Deer Resistant Plantings, Low Maintenance Plantings, Perennial Borders, Rock Gardens and Wildlife Gardens.